Monday, March 22, 2010

Just Passing Cloud Eight

Some days are marked as great because of some monumental occurence. Others are designated as such because of recognition or realization. I'd say it was safe to call my weekend rather great due to the latter. I am very blessed to have a special lady friend. Suffice it to say, she is my best friend. I feel better about what's happening in my day-to-day after I've spoken with her. This weekend, we got to spend some real quality time in deep conversation. While nothing monumental occurred during our weekend (spent in separate states, mind you), I did come to some rather delightful conclusions about our relationship that make me feel pretty confident about where my life is going. Though, I almost blew it Saturday night, she is forgiving enough of my own stupidity to warrant keeping me around. For that, I am forever grateful.

I apologize for gushing, but I do feel that there is a comfortable outlet here for my musings. Though, I would suspect most of you are ready for me to move on to the movie reviews. Since I aim not to disappoint, I will dispense with revelling in my own good fortune, and now turn my attention to a fascinating assortment of gems.

24.) ANTIGONE: RITES OF PASSION
I guess I was bound to run into one of these "Art House Flicks" before too long. This feeble attempt at making something thoughtful and provoking is laughable. Seriously, this movie is terrible and has as much artistic credibility as QVC. Told through visual pictures with no dialogue, only voice-overs. At some points it would appear that the characters are performing choreographed movement. At all points this looks like it was done on a budget of Ramen Noodles and luke-warm 7-up. It looks like it was filmed on location at the nearest landfill (which is ironic since that would be the place where the finished product could join the careers of those responsible for making this). Based partially on the works of Sophocles, it would appear that this movie's main message is "if it works fine as it is, then drudge it through some half-ass pretensions and throw in some screeching soprano screams for a soundtrack and you're guaranteed to have a hit". No thank you.

25) APOLLO 13
I'm not sure why I waited so long to watch this. This was a great blockbuster, with a high entertainment value. It was fascinating to see how Ron Howard captured the true infancy of the American Space program. I suppose my generation takes these achievements for granted, but this film reminded me that scientific breakthroughs, oftentimes with the crudest of tools, are still noteworthy and should be applauded. I felt like I was a crewmember suffering through the coldness of space with Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, and the ubiquitous Kevin Bacon. It is remarkable when a filmmaker can still draw tension and suspense from a story that is widely known. I'm sure this will find its' way back into the DVD player before too long.

26.) APT PUPIL
Back when I was a teacher, I used to spend part of the third quarter dealing specifically with the Holocaust. The reading list varied from year to year, but it always included Night by Elie Wiesel. In addition to reading, I would usually do a two-week film festival with the students. I would show whatever the latest documentaries were out, and usually wrap things up with Schindler's List and then Life is Beautiful so we could have a promise of hope for the future. After watching Apt Pupil, I kind of wish I was still teaching so I could expose my students to this chilling piece. Based on a short story by Stephen King (which is always good fodder), this movie deals with a young scholar who gets in over his head when he discovers a Nazi War Criminal living down the street. Ian McKellan is truly frightening as the horrific monster who's been emasculated by time. Brad Renfro's performance reminded me that he had a brilliant career potential before his life was cut short by unfortunate choices ending with the tragedy of a heroin overdose in 2008. I think Hollywood lost a bright talent that day.

27.) AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS
Occasionally I can forgive Disney for rendering a vibrant story impotent by dumbing it down for a "family-friendly" audience. This is not one of those times. There is nothing about this movie that doesn't scream as a blatant insult to its' audience. Jules Verne's novel figures no where in this telling of a mad scientist's attempt at circumnavigating the globe in a timely manner. Instead, this is nothing more than a star-vehicle for Jackie Chan and Steve Coogan. Granted, both stars are entertaining, and their unique personalities and gifts provide the only saving graces for this otherwise trite distraction. I won't spend much time on this one since the filmmakers obviously didn't. Though, there is one humorous moment when, during yet another chase scene, an old woman does a face plant right off a wall. It warranted an "L" that was almost "OL"

28.) ART SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL
My college roommate was an art student. He was also one of the funniest persons I have ever known. He did have his quirks, though. I suppose if he reads this he'll point out the dark color of my kettle. Watching this movie reminded me the versatility of artists and their aim for "mystique". Art students aren't always as cool as they think they are (though in my real life case, he was pretty badass). This movie made me want to go out and encourage each of the "artists" to go get laid. There is something absurd, though, about the plot of a struggling artist's attempt to make his splash in the art world any way he can. It says a lot about the old adage "Art is in the eye of the beholder". In this case, I think I'll be holdin' a different movie. Granted, the scenes where the nude figure models showed up made the canvas a little more palettable.

I find myself staring a long week in the face. Yet, I feel, as I began this post, that I have a great source of inspiration. SVC, I can't wait to watch some more movies with you soon! Until then, the outlook is tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment